Wednesday 30 June 2010

Official Prizes often involve monetary rewards as well as the fame that comes with them.




















Prizes (formerly known as Treasure) are another band that I have been waiting for what seems like an eternity to see live and wecantmixandwedontcare! have been lucky enough to get an exclusive interview before Prizes embark on a series of debut UK shows supporting the likes of Memoryhouse and Million Young followed by performances at 1234 and Field Day festivals.

Who are you and where are you from?

I am Hari Ashurst and I’m from Devon.


Describe Prizes sound in three words:

Hauntological slow jams.


Where does your band name originate from?

Pop music makes you feel like a winner sometimes. If only for three minutes.


The best and worst band you have ever been compared to?

The best is Hall and Oates. Somebody said one of my first songs sounded like a gay barbershop quartet. That was probably the worst.


The strangest summation of your band and or songs?

An Italian blogger wrote that our sound was like the movie ‘300’ but with less people. Make your own sense of that.


What’s next for Prizes?

I’m going to continue writing songs about current affairs, places I haven’t been and foodstuffs that I enjoy to eat.


Finally, who would you choose to be an honorary member of Prizes for one night only? Tell us why and what would they do?

I want Heston Blumenthal to curate our live show. I want to play a guitar made from egg. I want vodka dry ice to slowly get us drunk as we go on stage. I want my samples to become chocolate.


To hear Prizes excellent slo-fi melodical pop head over to http://www.myspace.com/treasuretheband and enjoy tracks in the form of ‘Teenage Myth’ and ‘Canada’. Hopefully it won’t be long before we hear more from Prizes......

You can also enjoy the video for track 'Canada' below.




PRIZES (formerly known as Treasure) - "Canada" from Jamie Harley on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment